In the crazy world in which we live, a blog looking to make sense of it all.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

100 Channels and Nothing On

In 1961, FCC Chairman Newton N. Minow described television as a "vast wasteland." In many instances, that cannot be closer to the truth.

I find I have an evening open so I decided to channel surf. Nothing but crap.

I watched a bit of Survivor. I don't know where they're at now, but still the same old thing; a bunch of kids running around half naked in the jungle trying to win $1 million. I did watch the first couple of seasons of the show until I got board with it. Nothing's changed. And note to would be contestants: the $1 million prize is a gross amount. You need to pay taxes on it, which I would assume the IRS would consider it to be unearned income. After your 40 days of hell, you'll probably wind up with only half of that. You might ask Richard Hatch about his experiences.

Will & Grace. This has to go in the annals of TV history as one of the worst shows *ever*. Period. How it managed so many Emmys is beyond me. The only reason this show has been on so long is because it has rode on the coattails of Friends. Now that Friends is no longer on, Will & Grace isn't even on the radar. I didn't even know it was still in production. It's a shame; Debra Messing is hot and has no business being involved with this crap.

NBC needs to get a clue. The show is terrible and not even remotely funny. It's more or less 3rd grade potty humor. A couple of years back, I caught a scene where that chick with the hiqh squealy voice recited "Milk, milk, lemonade, around the corner is where fudge is made." Good grief!

If Mr. Minow was around today, I wonder what he'd say about TV now. Trivia: I'm not 100% sure, but I think Mr. Minow's name was used for the name of one of the most famous boats in television, the SS Minnow on Gilligan's Island (a program that *is* funnier than Will & Grace).

Common Sense of it All: Unfortunately, there's no accounting for taste.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few great shows IMO on TV now:

Grey's Anatomy
Lost
House
Monk

good acting, well written.

March 22, 2006 1:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home