In the crazy world in which we live, a blog looking to make sense of it all.

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Getting Around Town

On the opinion page of today's Journal Star is a letter from a gentlemen named John Doering from Dunlap. He is sounding off on the Journal Star's contention that Peoria is a "15 minute city," to where you can get anywhere in Peoria in 15 minutes. To that I also have to say "Bullsh*t!"

Mr. Doering blames the problems on selfishness and New Urbanism. I agree that selfishness could be one of the causes to this problem; how many people do you see talking on the phone, driving haphazardly. How many other drivers run lights, hog lanes, exercise little or no use of turn signals or are completely inconsiderate. Angie at Angie's Drama can site you many examples.

But I'm not sure about blaming New Urbanism altogether. Our city planners have continued to do a poor job at planning our city's roadways. I don't think they could plan themselves out of a wet paper sack. But what planning, for lack of a better word, they have done is what *they* think New Urbanism is.

But Mr. Doering is right; you cannot travel Knoxville Ave for any stretch of distance and not be stopped by a red light. I will also add that there seems to be far more drivers on the road than ever before, which is odd because the population around here has not gone up significantly.

Common Sense of it All: <insert sarcasm here> With fewer motorist on the roads, you could probably get around town faster during yesterday's snow storm than you could on an average day. <end sarcasm>

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder where all this extra traffic is coming from, too. Peoria's population has been practically constant the past 25 years. I suppose it's from people moving out of Peoria and driving many more miles than they did previously. Grand Prairie has also created a new traffic magnet in a previously quiet part of Peoria.

I remind myself that it could be much worse -- picture the thousands of choked roadways in Chicagoland and Peoria is still comparatively a breeze.

December 03, 2006 5:00 PM

 
Blogger maubs said...

You've hit on my pet peeve here. Nowhere in Peoria can you catch a "wave" of timed lights, other than on Adams & Jefferson downtown, though I doubt that's true any more after the I-74 upgrade. There seems to be no thought process at all for timing of lights, and no one's minding the store to make adjustments. I'll be very glad when 74 is really up and running and I can bypass all the red lights every 50 ft.
PS I live outside of Peoria and only go there when I have to.

December 09, 2006 9:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we are working hard to help you get around town without stop and go traffic and gas emissions at each stop sign. Plus the parking zoo we have now downtown. Our proposal includes trolley transport in conjunction with city link and still have a trail alongside. What more could you ask? Preparing for the future with what we have in place today. For anyone who is interested in hearing the whole proposal please contact me. I'm in the phone book.

January 26, 2007 10:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home